Data protection legislation applies to ‘personal data’ (data that relates to a living individual such as a name, home address or mobile telephone number) and regulates how that data is collected, held and processed. Data protection in the UK is governed by the Data Protection Act 1998 (the “DPA”).
For the purposes of the DPA, Sporting Nation Limited is the ‘data controller’ of the personal data of Sporting Nation users (i.e. the organisation that is responsible for, and controls the processing of, that personal data).
- “Sporting Nation” mean the web based amateur sports platform available at www.sportingnation.com.
- The “Website” means the website located at www.sportingnation.com.
- “We”, “us” and “Sporting Nation” mean Sporting Nation Limited.
- “You” mean you in your capacity as a registered Sporting Nation user.
What personal data do we process?
We process the following types of personal data about you when you use Sporting Nation:
- Information provided by you. We collect personal data, such as your name and email address, when you register to become a member of Sporting Nation. This information is used when you set up your personal profile. As part of your personal profile, you may choose to submit additional information such as your mobile phone number and your personal email address.
- Information relating to your use of Sporting Nation. We collect and process information relating to your use of Sporting Nation, including details of the number of event you participate in, and the extent of your engagement with the system.
- Information collected automatically. Sporting Nation receives and stores information which is transmitted automatically from your computer when you browse the Internet and use Sporting Nation. This includes information from cookies (which are described in the section below on Cookies), your IP address and browser type. Your IP address is the unique address of your computer which is automatically provided to other computers when your web browser requests a web page from those computers on the Internet.
How do we use your personal data?
We will use your personal data in order to deliver the Sporting Nation service to you. This includes using your personal data to:
- Manage your Sporting Nation user profile and account;
- Deliver a customised Sporting Nation service to you. This may include providing you with customised content that is relevant to your teams.
- Internal record keeping
We may use your email address to contact you from time to time about our Sporting Nation service and may also use it for security reasons to confirm that you are who you say you are. We also may use the information collected automatically, such as your IP address and information stored via cookies, to gather statistics about the number of people who visit Sporting Nation and to customise its content, layout and services. We may share this information, on an aggregate and anonymised basis, with third parties to help us improve Sporting Nation and better serve our users.
Disclosure to third parties
Our promotions partners have no direct access to your name or personal contact information stored by Sporting Nation. We will only provide your personal data to a promotions partner where necessary in order to carry out a transaction you have made using Sporting Nation.
We may provide your personal data and the data generated by cookies and the aggregate information to the vendors and service agencies that we may engage to assist us in providing you with the Sporting Nation service. Such third party entities will be obligated to use your personal data solely to provide services to us in connection with the Sporting Nation service, and for no other purpose.
We will disclose your personal data if we reasonably believe we are required to do so by law, regulation or other government authority or to protect the rights and property of Sporting Nation, its affiliates or the public. We may also co-operate with law enforcement agencies in any official investigation and we may disclose your personal data to the relevant agency or authority in doing so.
We reserve the right to transfer your personal data in the event of a transfer of ownership of Sporting Nation Ltd, such as acquisition by or merger with another company.
Links to other sites
This Website may contain links to other websites that are not owned or controlled by Sporting Nation Ltd. Please be aware that we are not responsible for the privacy practices of such other websites.
We encourage you to be aware when you leave our Website and to read the privacy statements on the other websites that you visit.
When someone visits our website we collect standard internet log information and details of visitor behaviour patterns. We do this to find out things such as the number of visitors to the various parts of our website. We collect this information in a way which does not identify anyone.
The Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) is an industry body that develops standards and guidelines to support online business processes. It has produced a website (www.allaboutcookies.org) which explains how cookies work and how they can be managed.
Disabling and enabling cookies
You have the ability to accept or decline cookies by modifying the settings on your internet browser. The IAB website (www.allaboutcookies.org) tells you how to remove cookies from your browser. However, please note you may not be able to take full advantage of the functionality of Sporting Nation or the Website if you do so.
Security and confidentiality
The security of your personal data depends on your protection of your account password. Please do not disclose your account password to unauthorized people.
Sporting Nation uses industry standard technology designed to help keep your personal data safe. We use a 2048-bit SSL certificate for encryption as recommended by The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) of the US Government. Please bear in mind though, that it is impossible for Sporting Nation to guarantee that impenetrable security measures are in place.
For example, we cannot control any illegal and/or unforeseen activity of other users that may allow them to get around the privacy or security settings on the Website. Consequently, you acknowledge that there are circumstances in which your personal data may be accessed by unauthorised persons.
Sporting Nation will also take appropriate organisational and security measures to safeguard your personal data against unauthorised or unlawful processing and against accidental loss, destruction, or damage. Our objective is to protect your personal data as follows:
- All of Sporting Nation’s systems, hardware and software used in relation to your personal data are kept secure in accordance with standard industry practice;
- All Sporting Nation employees, contractors and third party service providers are informed of their obligations under the DPA and the restrictions in place on their use of the personal data.